PE at The Holy Family Catholic School
The PE dept want to provide;
- lessons that challenge students
- a broad and balanced curriculum
- lessons that develop students confidence, communication and social skills
- opportunities for students to develop wider roles within PE e.g. coach/ official/ leader
- opportunities for students to further develop their skills with extra-curricular provision
Students are expected to come fully prepared with kit for every lesson.
Yr 7 and 8 – 2 lessons per week
Yr 9 – 3 lessons per fortnight
Students will complete blocks of work half termly to develop their skills, knowledge and tactics in a range of activities including;
Netball, football, rugby, fitness, dance, gymnastics, rounders, cricket and athletics.
Throughout the key stage students will be encouraged to take on a variety of roles including performer, leader, coach and official.
Students will be graded regularly on their effort (A-E) and their attainment (levels 1-exceptional) for each activity.
Yr 10 and 11 – 2 lessons per week
Students will continue to develop their skills, knowledge and tactics in a range of activities.
Students will also have the opportunity to gain a nationally recognized Sports Leaders Level 1 course.
Students will continue to be graded on their effort in PE.
• BTEC Sport First Extended Certificate (Edexcel) – as an option in Yr 9 – worth 2 GCSEs.
• GCSE PE (OCR) – elements include 40% theory, 50% practical and 10% coursework.
• AS/ A Level PE (AQA) – this is a joint course with Greenhead – 50% theory, 50% practical.
Students are given the opportunity to develop their skills and represent the school in a number of activities including;
Netball, football, rugby, rounders, athletics, cricket as well as taking part in other activities such as dance, gymnastics and badminton.
We also run a Leadership Academy for students to develop their skills and help both within school and the wider community.